Company Position Title: Intermediate System Administrator – UNIX Systems Administration
Agency/Department: Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Operations, Defense Enterprise Computing Center (DECC) Montgomery / Federal Support Staff
Employment Status: Full-Time Shifts: Day-Shift Location: DISA, Maxwell AFB – Gunter Annex, Montgomery AL Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports To: DECC-Montgomery OPM 1/2 Team Lead
Job Purpose: Serves as a Intermediate UNIX System Administrator for DISA Operations, DECC-Montgomery located at Maxwell Air Force Base – Gunter Annex, Montgomery Alabama during Day-shift, responsible for managing the functionality and efficiency of multiple UNIX based Operating Systems. This individual performs duties that include setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches, and allocating mass storage space. Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products. Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery. Analyzes system faults and troubleshoots and runs diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect and resolve problems. Evaluates and installs developed software during various phases of testing. Reviews and prepares documentation for systems, tests and installation of UNIX based software. Investigates and selects methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Responsible for preventive maintenance on UNIX operating systems as well as repair to system/environmental problems. May interface with vendors for trouble calls and provides escalation support for service desk personnel and may be called upon to support service desk activities during surges and other contingency situations.
1. Demonstrates technical expertise and intermediate-level knowledge in UNIX based operating systems to include performing a variety of assignments associated with installation, configuring, managing, monitoring and controlling UNIX operating and supporting system software; analyzing system faults, troubleshooting incidents, and conducting series of diagnostic tests on both
operating systems and hardware to detect and resolve problems effectively and efficiently
2. Demonstrated experience in reviewing and preparing technical documentation, and installing software, researching and recommending methods and techniques to improve operations, conducting preventive maintenance, and managing/administering multiple technical tasks with varying schedules
3. DoD 8570: Required – Information Assurance Technical Level II (IAT-II) Certification: CompTIA Security+ preferred – Computing Environment (CE) Certification: UNIX/LINUX Operation Environment certification preferred Desired – Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) version 3 Foundation certification
4. Required: Minimum active Secret Clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance/Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) indoctrinated 5. Must have Bachelor’s or higher Degree in Computer Science or related discipline and 2-3 years of experience or 4+ years experience providing UNIX system administration support in network and software development environments ensuring mission success in support of DoD unclassified/classified networking environments
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. extends equal opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual preference, disability, status as a covered veteran or any other legally protected status. This is affirmed in our policies and in all of our employment decisions and personnel actions including compensation, benefits, promotions, training, terminations, social and recreational activities.
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc. adheres to the principles of equal opportunity employment and takes aff irmative action to provide opportunities to women and minorities, persons with disabilities and certain covered veterans. ICS provides reasonable accommodations to disabled individuals and protected veterans who identify their status and specify their need .
1. Act as the an intermediate UNIX system administration expert within the DISA DECC-Montgomery environment; ensure all support is provided in a professional manner 100% of the time; ensure all support is accomplished IAW applicable ICS and customer documentation, policy and procedures and is documented in appropriate documentation or as otherwise directed, 95% of the time; provide systems administration, systems analysis, troubleshooting and integration support for a series of UNIX systems and associated tools without the assistance from other team members for normal operations 95% of the time in support of DISA’s mission, and DISA’s Mission Assurance partners’ missions while helping to maintain 98.5% uptime per Service Level Agreement (SLA) requirements
2. Develop and maintain work-related documentation following ICS, DISA and DECC-Montgomery provided formats 90% of the time, ensuring 95% accuracy, and meeting deadlines for each delivered item 95% of the time. Review 10% of previously published documentation on a monthly basis and provide updates as necessary in support of system and network certification efforts
3. Provide technical UNIX system administrative support for customers/partners; ensure support is provided in a professional manner 100% of the time; ensure support is documented accurately and accomplished within deadlines 95% of the time
4. Acquire certifications as required by DoD Directive 8570 and DECC-Montgomery, complete specialized IA-related training and maintain 100% compliance throughout assignment by actively participating in the Continuing Education programs as required per certification and/or specialized training 5. Accurately record hours worked in ICS’ time accounting system each day worked or as otherwise directed by ICS Leadership, with 100% compliance, and provide appropriate inputs to the Weekly and Monthly Activity Reports on time as directed by ICS Task Lead and/or Team Lead, with 100% compliance
1. Provide technical expertise in UNIX system administrative subjects, concepts and tool sets supporting DECC-Montgomery operations, specific tasks include but are not limited to the following: a. Setting up and maintaining multiple different types/versions of UNIX operating systems; b. Troubleshoot and actively work incident management responses related to UNIX operating systems and related tool sets; c. Provide integration support, when requested, to integrate systems and tool sets into overall processes, procedures and systems; d. Support cybersecurity and IA policy efforts to maintain the cybersecurity posture of UNIX systems, related hardware and support tools; e. Exercise independent judgement in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria associated with obtaining results under this contract; and f. Interacts with both customer and contract leadership relating complex technical issues/solutions in such a metter as to gain understanding and acceptance from others
2. Improve the customer’s operating environment by providing expert support while also maintaining the cybersecurity/IA posture of systems/hardware managed/administered for both DECC-Montgomery and DISA Mission Partner